Sunday 24 July 2016

Henry VIII Invasion of France 1513

I've been asked a number of times whether I'd be interested in completing some flags for Henry VIII's invasion of France in 1513 and have always said no. However due to Stuart Mulligan's inspirational Army Royal blog and him kindly giving his permission to use his research and the persistence of a number of people (you know who you are) who want these flags I've got cracking and completed the first set of four. Painting these flags has been a total pleasure and the temptation to start an early Tudor army of my own is likely prove too much however I doubt I have the skill or the time to come up with what Stuart has accomplished with his Perry figures; hopefully a figure manufacturer will take a punt and complete some early Tudor figures.

This flag is for the Lord chamberlain and for a run down of his involvement in the invasion please take a look at Stuart's blog here: http://stuartsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/a-whyte-panther-incensed.html

 

14 comments:

  1. Another fantastic flag Pete!
    Just had pleasure of playing game with Stuart's 1513 collection this weekend - more anon from him on his blog I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fantastic flag Pete!
    Just had pleasure of playing game with Stuart's 1513 collection this weekend - more anon from him on his blog I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work Pete, they're intricate aren't they, the Lord Chamberlain is my favourite as its a unique heraldic beast. The start of more I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Stuart, intricate is a bit of an understatement. There's four more two thirds of the way done, these are Carew, Audeley, Sir Rhys Ap Thomas (which is proving a pig to get right and Essex and I'm halfway through drawing up Stanley and Northumberland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe add Talbot too, Him, Henry & Shrewsbury were the three designated commanders of that campaign. I've got a drawing of the banner if you need it

      Delete
  5. Pete these are superb! You have definitely forced my hand into painting up some early Tudors. I think the Lord Chamberlain and Dorset ones are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Oli, good one look forward to seeing them. I think Wyngfeld's flag look's strangely modern however Somerset's flag is my favourite.

      Delete
    2. Our work here is done !

      Delete
    3. I'll add Talbot to the list and more than happy to take up your offer in respect of your drawing.

      Delete
    4. Will do, drop me an email and I'll reply with drawings in the morning, I've got quite a lot more if you're interested.

      Delete
    5. email sent, thanks for your help Stuart

      Delete